Saturday, February 9, 2008

Tell us a Story or recite a Poem

Today I found a journal that, among other things, had a number of poems and quotes that I had jotted down of the past year or year and a half - I plan to share many of them here - maybe with you but more than likely just with myself. Here's the poem, by Robert Penn Warren that sparked that idea.

In this century, and moment, of mania,
Tell me a story.
Make it a story of great distances, and starlight.
The name of the story will be Time,
but you must not pronounce its name.

Tell me a story of deep delight.

Also by Warren and from the same book, Tell Me a Story:


Long ago, in Kentucky, I, a boy, stood
by a dirt road, in first dark, and heard
the great geese hoot northward.

I could not see them, there being no moon
and the stars sparse. I heard them.

I did not know what was happening in my heart.

It was the season before the elderberry blooms,
therefore they were going north.

The sound was passing northward.

No comments: