Friday, February 29, 2008

Driver's License



Ron Ogletree, a retired Alabama Highway Patrolman told me one of the funniest stories I've ever heard and like all really funny stories, this one is absolutely true.
Many years ago, when Ron was fresh out of his training, a recently appointed commander issued a mandate that every Alabama Trooper would spend four hours every month checking vehicles and drivers at road blocks.
Ron and his fellow troopers immediatley noted that the directive did not specify how many cars must be stopped during the four hour period. Using that bit of information, most of the troopers established their monthly roadblock on the most isolated roads in their jurisdiction.
Ron was no exception. He set up at a cross road near the rural, north Alabama, community of Flat Rock. For the first and most of the second hour he was manning his road block not a single car appeared. Then he heard the sounds of an approaching vehicle.
After hearing the vehicle for a long time it finally came into view. It was an ancient Chevy pickup driven by an equally ancient old man, obviously a local, a farmer from the look of him. Ron stepped into the roadway and raised his arm in the universal signal indicating the driver should stop. He said nothing happened for a long time except that the old truck continued to close down on him. Just as he was about to vacate his spot in the middle of the road, the brakes squealed and the old man brought the vehicle to a dusty halt with the front bumper inches from the trooper's leg.
Ron gathered his composure, then walked to the driver side of the truck. He looked at the old man and said, "How are you doing? I'm Trooper Ogletree and I'm conducting a routine vehicle and driver check. Could I see your driver's license?"

Without hesitation the old man said, "I don't have one."
Ron said, "Do you mean you left it at home?"
The old man raised his voice a bit and moved the intensity level a degree higher, "No son, I mean I don't have one."
Still not believing what he had heard, Ron asked, "Do you mean you lost your license or maybe it's been suspended."
The old man, getting more than a bit frustrated with the young trooper said, "No, son, I mean just what I said. I don't have a driver's license and I've never had one."
Ron said he wasn't sure what to say next. Finally he blurted out, "How old are you, Sir?"
The old man said, "I was seventy-four my last birthday."
Still with no idea where he was headed with the question, Ron asked, "Do you mean that in 74 years you've never had a driver's license?"
The old man looked at him like a drill instructor explaining a basic concept to his slowest recuit, "Son, up until two minutes ago I've never needed one."
It took Ron a moment to regain his composure. Finally he did, looked at the old man and as seriously as he could manage to speak, said, "And you still don't need one. Go on wherever you were headed and have a good day."

No comments: